Royal Palace of Portici and the Museum of Herculaneum

Royal Palace of Portici and the Museum of Herculaneum

Via Università
80055 portici, NA
Italy

Description:

The Royal Palace of Portici is a historical mansion by King Charles III built as a royal palace for the dynasty of the Bourbons of Naples, before the impressive palace was built of Caserta. It is located just a few meters from the ruins in Ercolano, in the municipality of Portici in a large park with a sculpture garden and an amphitheater.
King Charles and his wife Maria Amalia of Saxony were so impressed during a visit to the villa of the Duke of Elboeuf by the beauty of the place that they decided to build an official residence in the area. The work started in 1738 with a design project on behalf of Antonio Canevari, who also worked with other popular architects at that time. A series of palaces and noble mansions were discovered during the construction of the foundation; this also led to a series of excavations, which had the discovery of many works of art of archaeological as a result, including a real temple with 24 marble columns. These treasures were housed temporarily in the museum of Portici, an annexe of the Accademia Ercolanese (the deposit for all found objects of archaeological site). The Museum of Herculaneum was opened in 1758 by King Charles. The precious objects which were found at the excavation site in Herculaneum and Pompeii led to the foundation of this museum which quickly spread out in the royal rooms. Within a few years the archaeological collection has been extended to murals, mosaics, statues made of marble, bronze or terracotta, precious coins, glass, marble and objects of daily life.
Royal Palace of Portici - Interior
The construction of the new palace, whose dimension was not too big, also spurred the construction of numerous other historic homes in the area which is now under the name Miglio D' oro (Golden Mile).
Accademia Ercolanese (the deposit for all found objects of archaeological site). The Museum of Herculaneum was opened in 1758 by King Charles. The precious objects which were found at the excavation site in Herculaneum and Pompeii led to the foundation of this museum which quickly spread out in the royal rooms. Within a few years the archaeological collection has been extended to murals, mosaics, statues made of marble, bronze or terracotta, precious coins, glass, marble and objects of daily life.

Royal Palace of Portici - Interior

The construction of the new palace, whose dimension was not too big, also spurred the construction of numerous other historic homes in the area which is now under the name Miglio D' oro (Golden Mile).
In 1799, during the French Revolution, the royal court fled to Palermo and brought 60 crates full of artifacts, in a further flight in 1806 11 more boxes was taken with antiques. In the same year, Joseph Bonaparte ordered to transport the remaining antiques from Portici to the Museum of Naples. It was in 1818, at the return of the royal court of the Bourbons to Naples, when the stored boxes in Palermo were also taken to the new museum in Naples. This also brought the end of the museum in Portici with it, although the relocation of the murals lasted until the year 1827.

It was Joachim Murat, who endowed the palace from the ground up with French furniture and tasteful and remarkably luxury, while transport connections were built under Ferdinand II of Bourbon between the Palace and Naples (Naples - Portici railway ) and Pope Pius IX was stayed also there as a guest . Gradually over the years the palace was less and less frequented.
Today, the former Royal Palace houses the Faculty of Agriculture of the University of Naples "Federico II".